Mechanical Design Engineer
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum
Our long-standing manufacturing client in Bolton are looking for an experienced and experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to join their ever-growing team. They cover manufacturing projects for the nuclear, oil and gas, defence, marine, industrial, pharmaceutical, architectural and water industries and so the work is varied and complex at times.
The purpose of a Design Engineer is to carry out all aspects of mechanical design for the production of customer General Arrangement drawings, and Design for Manufacture (DfM) output, including Assembly Drawings, Fabrication Drawings/ Output, Bill of Materials (BOM’s) and As-Built drawings, in accordance with company procedure and/ or customer specification.
- Production of concept and detailed design deliverables, in accordance with all relevant company standards and procedure(s), to meet customer/ project demand.
- Deliver against department annual objectives and wider business strategy.
- Timesheet completion, and sickness/ leave/ absence requests to be submitted to Engineering Supervisor for approval in accordance with company procedure
- Maintain alignment with the company values and vision.
- Adherence to the Engineering Handbook modelling and drawing standards
- Sourcing any bought in items from existing approved suppliers where applicable. Raise any necessary paperwork for new suppler audits prior to specifying new products.
- Attend in-house or external design/ manufacturing reviews.
- Ensure all designs consider on-site or sub-contracted manufacturing capabilities.
- Complete adherence to Booth Industries Engineering procedures in accordance with our ISO 9001 certification.
- Design using iLogic templates for Booth Industries Standard and Standard-Bespoke products. Liaise with the Engineering Supervisor or Project Technical Leads to identify base model from the Vault.
- 3D Modelling of bespoke products in Autodesk Inventor pending project demand; including all associated output in accordance with company procedure
- Production of 2D General Arrangement drawings from 3D Models to company standard, for customer approval.
- Production of detail drawings for assembly, fabrication, and as-builts.
- Produce BOM’s for issue to production or implementation into MRP
- Responsible for self-checking of GA’s and 3D models prior to release to Engineering Department checker(s).
- Maximise change capture within the department. Ensure all change is captured on each project.
- Produce calculations and FEA analysis in-line with project requirements e.g., mechanical, structural, thermal, fatigue, acoustic, shock and blast
- Responsible for self-checking calculations prior to release to Engineering Department checker(s)
- Correct use of calculation standards on all projects to deliver theoretical assurance
- Support continuous improvement initiatives to increase departmental technical capabilities
- Contribute to R&D activities as required.
- Discuss innovative design solutions for bespoke works with peers and superiors.
- As and when required provide technical support on projects, liaise with customer as required.
- Full consideration of product performance requirements prior to commencement of works (i.e. fire, thermal, acoustics, security, blast etc.)
- Understanding of the testing and assessment standards, including but not limited to: o
- Fire integrity and insulation (BS EN 1634-1, BS 476-22, BS EN 15269-2, and BS EN 15269-7).
- Security (LPS 1175 v8.1; or latest version thereafter) General (CDM regulations. Building Regulations Part M, DHF-TS-012)
- Contribute to discussions around technical feasibility and appropriate design approaches from a testing perspective, at concept and DFM phases of projects
- Attendance at testing (domestic and international), reporting on all failures, and proposals for remedial works as required.
- Adherence to activity and delivery budget durations.
- Capture of design change hours on project change log(s) and notification to project Technical Lead or Engineering Supervisor dependant on project type/ size/ structure
- Individual NCR accumulation of < 3/ year.
- Contribute to department objectives year-on-year.
- Either: 1) Minimum HND in Engineering, plus 5 years’ engineering experience of industrial sheet/ steel fabrications OR 2) Minimum Bachelor’s degree (BEng Hons) in Engineering (preferably Mechanical Engineering), plus 3 years’ engineering experience of industrial sheet/ steel fabrications.
- Ability to operate Autodesk 3D Inventor, 2D AutoCAD and Autodesk Vault unaided.
- Ability to use Ansys FEA software is desirable.
- Ability to program templates using iLogic/ Visual Basic is desirable
- Generation of hand and software-based calculations
- Understanding of steel plate manufacturing principals and constraints, including laser cutting, weld limitations and press machinery.
- A focus on quality adherence and output.
- Attend shop floor as required.
- Flexibility to work overtime to achieve project plan as required.
- Ability to write reports and specifications.
- Strong communicator with internal and external customers alike.
£32K – £38K (DOE)
Please call Leon on 079361970076 or send your CV firstname.lastname@example.org to prompt a call-back